Image Alt

Albuquerque VetCo

 / Holiday  / 4th of July Safety Tips for your Pets

4th of July Safety Tips for your Pets

4th of July DogHappy 4th of July!

We all love to celebrate but make sure that your holiday is a happy one for the whole family. Here are tips to keep your pets safe on the holiday weekend.

  • Keep your pets at home during Fourth of July celebrations. Bringing them to parties at your friends and neighbors can be upsetting with all the activity.
  • Keep your pets inside. If you go out, keep your pets in the house rather than in your yard. He will be a lot happier indoors, and not tempted to leap over a fence to find you.
  • Fireworks are loud and can be frightening to your pet. Keep your pet in a safe room where he can feel comfortable. If he is crate trained put him in his crate covered with a blanket to make him feel secure. You can even block out some of the sound by turning on soothing music or the television.
  • Quell anxiety. If your pet seems overly anxious, spend some time with your pet, speaking soothingly to help them to relax.
  • Avoid scraps from the grill. While tempting to our pets, any sudden change to your pets’ diet can cause stomach upset. If you do give them scraps, make sure not to give them things like  onions, avocado, grapes and raisins can be toxic .
  • Watch for chemicals. Avoid spraying your pet with insect repellent and only use special sunscreen that is intended for animal use. Keep your pets away from matches and lighter fluid. They can be extremely irritating to the stomach, lungs and central nervous system, if ingested. If you dog does ingest lighter fluid, call your vet immediately!
  • Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them. Alcoholic drinks can poison pets. If ingested, the animal could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases. If your pet drinks an alcoholic beverage, call your vet immediately!
  • Do not put glow jewelry on your pets, or allow them to play with it. The contents of the jewelry is not highly toxic. However, it can cause some serious stomach upset and the if the plastic is consumed it can lead to more serious gastro-intestinal issues.
  • Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets. Fireworks are very toxic. Keep any fireworks out of the reach of your pets. If your pet eats some fireworks, call your vet immediately.
  • Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take them to Independence Day festivities. Instead, keep your little guys safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.