6 Halloween Safety Tips
6 Halloween Pet Safety Tips
- No treats for you pooch – well chocolate and candy treats. Chocolate can be toxic to your dog. It can make them sick and in large quantities can cause some very serious health issues. Candies often contain ingredients, like Xylitol, which can be very bad for your pet. They can cause issues from diarrhea and vomiting, to seizures.
- Pumpkins are non-toxic but if your dog attacks your jack-o-lantern and eats it, his stomach might be upset. Pumpkin can be very good for your dog, but it is also a laxative. So pay attention to the quantity that you allow him to eat.
- Jack-O-Lantern’s usually have a candle in them. An excited dog may get into your pumpkin and knock over the candle and start a fire, or just eat the candle. Wax will not usually hurt your dog, and will generally just pass through their system. But it could cause some stomach upset.
- Pet costumes are a lot of fun but sometimes they can be stressful to your pet. If you pet is comfortable in a costume, then have fun, just make sure to get a pet safe costume. However, if your pet is not comfortable, wearing the costume could cause some anxiety. In which case, it may be better to let them stay costume free for the holiday.
- Microchip your dog! There is a lot of neighborhood activity on Halloween and that can get dogs really excited. With all the kids, cars and costumes, it can be easy for your excited pup to get disoriented. Make sure they have on their dog tags and have their microchip updated to your current address, so if they get out and get lost, they can be returned home quickly.
- Keep black cats inside. Unfortunately people can take suspicion very seriously and cause harm to black cats. To be safe, keep your black cat inside.
If you think your pet ate something toxic, call the ASPCA poison control center at 888-426-4435 and call your vet.
Remember in Albuquerque it can get a little chilly in late October. So make sure you and your dog are wearing warm clothes when you go out trick-or-treating!