Can I Give Advil to My Dog: NSAID Poisoning
Ibuprofen is one of the most common pain relievers for humans. Some more famous brands are Advil, Motrin, Midol, and Nuprin. These are also called NSAIDs which stand for nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. This means it is a drug that is not a steroid that helps decrease inflammation. Inflammation is the most common source of pain in the body. Ibuprofen can be combined with other medications such as opioids, antihistamines, decongestants, and acetaminophen to create a stronger or more targeted medication.
Can you give ibuprofen to dogs?
The short answer is no. NSAIDs can be extremely dangerous to dogs. Even small doses can cause bad side effects and poisoning. Ibuprofen works by blocking certain chemical processes in the body that cause inflammation. In a dog, these processes are important to the healthy gastrointestinal tract, kidney, liver, and blood clotting functions. There are certain NSAIDs that are safe for dogs but those are ones prescribed by your Albuquerque vet and under veterinary supervision.
Signs of Ibuprofen Poisoning
The most common signs of ibuprofen poisoning are:
- decreased appetite
- abdominal pain
- dark tarry poo
- pale gums
- bloody poo
- decreased drinking
- decreased peeing
- yellow skin or gums
If you suspect your dog has eaten ibuprofen you should call the Pet Poison Helpline immediately, 800-213-6680, and they will advise you about what you should do. Do not induce vomiting unless the pet poison helpline, or your vet, instruct you to do so. You may have to bring your dog to a 24-hour emergency vet clinic for treatment. Depending on your dog’s symptoms, they may give your dog activated charcoal to absorb some of the ibuprofen, fluids to help with dehydration, or other medications to help with gastrointestinal issues.