Image Alt

Albuquerque VetCo

 / Holiday  / Don’t Let Thanksgiving Poison Your Pets

Don’t Let Thanksgiving Poison Your Pets

Vetco ThanksgivingThanksgiving is a great time for food, friends and family. Of course, family includes the family pet. But if you want to stay at the table and not end up at you Albuquerque Veterinary office, then you should follow these safety tips.

Your Food is Poison

That yummy food might be great for you but for your pet it could be poison. Not all human food is good for your pet to eat. Often our holiday meals are filled with foods that can make your pet seriously ill.

  • Fatty Foods: Fatty foods are hard for animals to digest. They are also known to cause pancreatitis in dogs. One of the signs of pancreatitis is vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy. It an also be deadly.
  • Not Healthy: Raisins, grapes and onions might make up a healthy diet for humans but for our pets it is poison. These foods are very difficult to digest and can cause a variety of gastrointestinal issues.
  • No Chocolate: Your dog may want some of that chocolate pie, but do not share it. Chocolate is very bad for pets and can even be deadly to both cats and dogs.
  • Sweeteners: Many of us are swapping out sugar for sugar alternatives so we can be a bit healthier when we eat our desserts. A common artificial sweetener called xylitol, which is commonly used in gum and sugar-free baked goods, can be deadly to cats and dogs.
  • Dough: Dough can be a special treat for kids but can cause painful gas and dangerous bloating in your pet, especially dough that contains yeast. If you want to give your pet a sweet treat, make them a nice home made dog biscuit.
  • Take out the Trash: You are doing a great job at putting away all the food on the counter, and not giving your dog scraps. But when you have your back turned he may start digging in the trash where he get get his mouth around all sorts of food he shouldn’t be eating, like turkey bones, strings and packaging. Keep your trash in a tightly closed bin or take it out.
  • Centerpiece: No one things about the pet eating the table center piece or that pretty bouquet of flowers your guests brought. But there are plenty of plants that are toxic to your pets. These include amaryllis, Baby’s Breath, Sweet William, some ferns, hydrangeas and more.

Food Safety

Make sure you take precautions with all your food prep. You don’t want your pets or your family to get sick because of a foodborne illness. Hand washing and proper food prep is important. Make sure you know about safe food handling and preparation to keep your whole family safe.The U.S. Department of Agriculture offers tips for handling, thawing and cooking turkey, as well as saving your leftovers. Because nothing ruins Thanksgiving like food poisoning.

If you notice your pet vomiting, having diarrhea, lethargic, or loss of appetite please call your vet immediately.