Image Alt

Albuquerque VetCo

 / cats  / Easter Lilies: Pretty but Deadly

Easter Lilies: Pretty but Deadly

Easter Lily Poison to CatsEaster Lilies are beautiful but they are also deadly….to your cat! The biggest danger of Easter Lilies is kidney failure. This can happen much easier than you may think. The plants are highly toxic to your cat and even ingesting a small amount can cause some sever physical reactions. In fact, your cat doesnt even have to eat the plant. Sometimes drinking the water from the vase or pollen exposure is enough to cause a sever reaction.

Symptoms of Lilly Poisoning include:

  • Vomiting
  • Anorexia
  • Drooling
  • Hiding
  • Lethargy (slowness, laziness, tiredness)
  • Halitosis (extreme bad breath)
  • Kidney failure
  • Excessive or decreased thirst and urination
  • Dehydration
  • Painful abdomen

Not all lilies are deadly. Non-deadly Lilies include:

  • Peace
  • Peruvian
  • Calla

These will only cause mild reactions which include:

  • Drooling
  • Pawing at the mouth
  • Foaming
  • Vomiting
  • and rarely, difficulty in breathing

Most of the issues from non-deadly lillies are caused by tissue irritation in the mouth, thongue, pharynx and esophagus. If you cat has eaten a non-deadly lilly and is showing symptoms, offer them milk or chicken broth. This will help flush out their mouth and throat and should remove the irritant.

Take Action

If your cat has eaten any part of your Easter Lily call your vet or poison control immediately. Treatment may include inducing vomiting, IV fluids, kidney function monitoring tests, blood pressure monitoring, urine output monitoring and supportive care.

Please be hasty! The sooner you bring your cat in after ingestion the better. if you are not sure if you need to then call your vet or poison control and they will be able to advise you.