Image Alt

Albuquerque VetCo

 / Holiday  / Easter Pet Safety
easter pet safety

Easter Pet Safety

easter pet safetyEaster Pet Safety

This weekend is Easter! The big bunny is coming and hiding eggs everywhere. But behind the festivity are some lurking dangers.

  • Chocolate
  • Easter basket grass
  • Candy Wrappers
  • Easter Lilies

If you think your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t, please call your vet immediately.

Chocolate

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs. The Pet Poison Helpline has reported an increase of nearly 200% of chocolate poison reports during the Easter holiday.

The darker the chocolate the more of a danger it is, generally speaking.  Chocolate poisoning can result in:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Hyperactivity
  • Abnormal heart rate
  • Seizures
  • Death

Easter Basket Grass and Wrappers

Easter basket grass is that fake plastic grass that is often in Easter baskets. Though the plastic itself can work its way through your pets digestive track, it is the stringy nature of the grass that causes the biggest issue. It can get anchored around parts of their body, like their tongue or stomach, making it impossible for them to pass it. Wrappers can form blockages in the intestines, making them impossible to pass. If a blockage occurs, abdominal surgery is usually necessary.

Often animals will try to throw up the plastic. If they are throwing up without results, or not able to poo, or start showing signs of infection, call you vet.

Easter Lilies

Easter Lilies are beautiful but highly toxic to cats. It is not just the flower either, it is every part of the plant including the pollen.  If your cat ingests even a small amount of the plant, it can result in severe kidney failure.

Symptoms of Easter Lily poisoning usually develop within 12 hours of ingestion.  Symptoms are:

  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Dehydration
  • Disorientation
  • Staggering
  • Seizures

In most situations, symptoms of poisoning will develop within six to 12 hours of exposure. Early signs include vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy and dehydration. Symptoms worsen as kidney failure develops. Some cats will experience disorientation, staggering and seizures.

There is no antidote to lily poisoning, so it is imperative that you get your cat to the vet right away if you see them licking or eating any part of an Easter Lily. The sooner you vet can start treatment, the more likely your cat will survive.