Image Alt

Albuquerque VetCo

 / VetCo  / Fall Prep and Pet Safety

Fall Prep and Pet Safety

albuquerque fall pet

With so many of us working from home we should have all our fall planning and prep in hand! Oh wait…I was watching that show on Netflix. As fall officially starts next week a lot of us are laying out our fall preparations. Many of us are ready to dig into some big projects or wrap up some projects. Then there is the winterizing! WOOF that can be a lot of work. As you are planning your fall prep make sure that you keep some pet safety in the back of your mind so you don’t clean your pup all the way to a vet check.


There are more rats and mice in the fall as they try to seek shelter. You may be laying out mice traps or rodenticides. These are toxic and dangerous for your pets. Make sure you put them in places that are not accessible to your pets. If you think your pet ingested rodenticide, call your vet immediately!

We also suggest looking for alternatives to poison or dangerous traps. There are some great ways to trap rodents that won’t put your pets or kids in danger or poison or hurting themselves. If you are working with a pest control company make sure they are aware of what pets you have and where they spend their time. They will make sure to use pet safe rodenticides and traps.

Car Coolant

This is a great time of year to change our your car’s coolant.  But did you know that coolant smells sweet and pets like to drink it. Engine coolant can kill your pet. There glycol-based coolants that are less toxic than the ethylene glycol coolants, but both are dangerous. If you have any coolant spills, clean them up immediately and don’t leave any open coolant out for your pet to drink. If you think your pet ingested coolant, call your vet immediately. This is not something to “wait and see”. Poisoning from coolant is fast acting and very dangerous. If there is ANY chance your pet drank coolant call your emergency vet immediately.

Mushrooms grow in the fall

Though New Mexico is a dry place we still grow mushrooms. Most mushrooms have little to no toxicity, some still do. The ones that do can be highly toxic and cause life-threatening problems in your pets. If you have mushrooms growing in your yard, put on some gloves and pick them. If you encounter mushrooms on hikes, do not let your pet eat them.  Contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately if you witness your pet eating a wild mushroom.

Rattlesnakes and others

It is a great time for hiking! Snakes are also preparing for hibernation, this can make them more aggressive when they have been discovered. Make sure you get the rattlesnake vaccine to keep your dog protected and try to keep them from sticking their noses in holes or under rocks where snakes may be trying to sleep.