Image Alt

Albuquerque VetCo

 / VetCo  / Green Chile is AMAZING but not for your Dog.
Green Chile Pet

Green Chile is AMAZING but not for your Dog.

Green Chile Pet

I couldn’t believe it. I went to the grocery store the other day and when I stepped out of my car I smelled green chile roasting. I stopped and thought…wait, what? It’t not chile roasting season! Though this one batch was on the early side, it is the beginning of chile roasting season! OMG I can’t wait for all the fresh green chile. Enchiladas, stew, salsa, jam…and pretty much everything I eat.

Green chile has a host of wonderful qualities. It boosts our immune system. It gets the oxytocin flowing. It is yummy! Though it does good things for you, it does not do good things for your dog. Luckily green chile is not toxic to your dog. So if your dog eats it, he will be ok.

Signs of Eating Too Much Green Chile

  • Burning sensation in the mouth
  • Mouth blisters
  • Upset stomach
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Anxiety

Pretty much what happens to you when you eat chile that is too hot, happens to your dog. Though it can be highly unpleasant, you know it will pass.

What to do

  • Lots of water – the water can help dilute the acid in the stomach, which causes the stomach upset. It can also help flush their mouth of the acid that causes the burning.
  • Milk – If you dog seems to have sever burning in his mouth, milk can help neutralize the burning. Be careful with giving them too much milk as this can also make them sick.
  • Grass – Grass is your dogs natural pepto. If their stomach is upset, let them eat some grass and that can help calm their stomach down, or help them vomit to get rid of what is upsetting their stomach.
  • Pepto-Bismol – You can crush up Pepto-Bismol in water and give it to them. This can help if your dog has diarrhea or is vomiting. The amount you can give depends on your dogs weight. Make sure to call Albuquerque Vetco to consult with a vet before you give your dog pepto. NEVER give your dog a human over the counter medication without consulting your vet first. You can cause more damage than you are fixing if you give them the wrong medication or the incorrect dosage.

No matter how much your pooch begs for a bite of your green chile burger, resist the temptation to share!