Image Alt

Albuquerque VetCo

 / VetCo  / How Not To Go to The Vet This Fall
albuquerque fall pet

How Not To Go to The Vet This Fall

Fall is one of the best times of year. The air smells like green chile, the weather is cooling down, the leaves start to change. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love a New Mexico Fall. In the Fall, just like in the Spring, there are things you need to be cautious about when it comes to your pets. Here are some things to watch for that will keep your dog going on hikes and playing in leaves, instead of in the vets office…unless it is for low cost vaccines, in which case bring them to our daily walk-in shot clinic.


It is mouse season! I have already seen some scurrying around. There are more rats and mice in the fall as they try to seek shelter. If you see mice around your house you may be laying out mice traps or rodenticides to take care of the problem. These are toxic and dangerous for your pets. Make sure you put them in places that are not accessible to your pets. If you use a service like Truly Nolen to help take care of your rodent problem, ask them if their treatment is pet friendly or make sure they lay rodenticide or traps out of your pets area. If you think your pet ingested rodenticide, call your vet immediately!

Car Coolant

A lot of people flush their coolant in the fall. But did you know that antifreeze smells sweet and pets like to drink it. But even through it smells sweet engine coolant can kill your pet. There glycol-based coolants that are less toxic than the ethylene glycol coolants, but both are dangerous. If you have any coolant spills, clean them up immediately and don’t leave any open coolant out for your pet to drink. If you think your pet ingested coolant, call your vet immediately.

Mushrooms grow in the fall

It is a beautiful time of year for the Bosque walks or taking a hike in the mountains to view the autumn colors. Though New Mexico is a dry place we still grow mushrooms. Once we went on a hike in the Jemez mountains and were hunting mushrooms. We brought them back to our camp and cooked them up and they were delicious! Of course, these were safe to eat mushrooms and completely non-toxic. Most mushrooms have little to no toxicity, but some still do. The ones that do can be highly toxic and cause life-threatening problems in your pets. If you have mushrooms growing in your yard, put on some gloves and pick them. If you encounter mushrooms on hikes, do not let your pet eat them.  A good rule of thumb with mushrooms is unless you 100% know they are ok to eat, don’t eat them and don’t let your pet eat them. Contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately if you witness your pet eating a wild mushroom.

Rattlesnakes and others

albuquerque fall pet

This is the best time of year to go on hikes. It is finally getting cooler and the trees look beautiful. Of course, hiking in the mountains also means you could find rattlesnakes. Every year there are multiple bites reported on people and even more on pets. Make sure you get the rattlesnake vaccine to keep your dog protected and try to keep them from sticking their noses in holes or under rocks where snakes may be trying to sleep. You can get this vaccine during our daily walk-in shot clinic…just FYI.

Get our there an enjoy the start of fall!