Image Alt

Albuquerque VetCo

 / dogs  / How To Treat A Dog For A Hornet Sting

How To Treat A Dog For A Hornet Sting

Hornet StingWhen a hornet stings a dog there is not usually a problem, however some dogs do have a strong reaction. Just like humans, some dogs can suffer from mild to severe allergic reactions triggered by hornet stings. In fact some dogs experience serious allergic reactions to hornet stings that are fatal. Unfortunately it is not easy to identify if your pet has been stung by a hornet because the symptoms it may experience are hives and swelling which are common symptoms with insect bites as well. You can first monitor and observe other allergic reactions your dog may have, while reducing the discomfort being felt before taking other action.

Be Prepared At All Times

As a pet owner you need to be prepared at all times for any type of emergency, especially since it is more difficult to determine dog ailments. It is a good idea to ask your vet ahead of time for any over-the-counter medication you can buy to treat insect bites and stings as well as allergies. However, be careful in giving your pet the proper dosage because every breed, size and age of dog will have their respective dosage for every type of medicine.

Locate the Stinger on the Skin

To determine if you are dealing with a hornet sting, observe which area on your pet’s body is swelling, painful and itchy with a stinger left in the skin. Then carefully remove the stinger to stop more venom from being released in your dog’s body. You can use a pair of tweezers or a hard card to scrape it gently from the skin.

Apply First Aid

Once the stinger has been removed, you can then wash the swollen area with mild soap and warm water, and then gently pat dry with a clean towel. To reduce the swelling you can wrap an ice pack in a soft towel and apply it on the wound for five minutes at a time.

Keep an Eye Out For Allergic Reactions

While you are applying the cold compress on your pet’s wound, observe the allergic reactions it may experience. Some serious allergic reactions are diarrhea, pale gums and vomiting, but it is important that you observe any signs of anaphylactic shock. When a dog goes into anaphylactic shock it will appear to be shaky, weak and have difficulty breathing.

Home Treatments

If the allergic reaction is not serious, you can always use home treatments to help treat the sting. To soothe the sting wound, you can make a paste out of a teaspoon of sugar and water and rub it on the sting for a few minutes. You can also make a paste with baking soda and water and have it applied several times in a day. The soda will draw out the venom and soothe the sting. Even strong white vinegar, antiseptic mouthwash, ammonia, olive oil or damp tea bags can ease the pain.

The instant you detect severe allergic reactions, bring your pet to the vet but keep him awake during the trip. It is also important that you take steps to get rid of hornets from your property with the help of a pest control professional because your family may get stung the next time.

Featured images:
  •  License: Royalty Free or iStock source:

Valerie Banks is a freelance writer specializing in health and well being of pets, as well as natural Minneapolis wasp control methods. She also writes blogs on how to treat hornet stings and offers home treatment tips to pet owners.