Indoor Pets Get Fleas
It is the middle of summer in Albuquerque and we are in the height of flea season! Our pets love to go outside and roll in the cool dirt and sand. They love to run through the bushes and tall grasses. If you go on hikes in the mountains, or walks on the mesa, or stroll through the bosque, there are lots of great areas for your dog to pounce through and get fleas. Fleas live in the dirt and sand. So that explains how your outdoor pets get fleas, but what about your indoor pets. Most people think that they don’t have to worry about indoor pets and fleas.
Indoor pets are at a lower risk of getting fleas, this is true, but they can still get them.
- If you have a dog that goes in and out but your cat stays indoors, the dog can pass fleas on to your cat.
- If you go hiking or walking in the mountains, mesa, or on the bosque, you can carry fleas back with you. They can get on your shoes and clothes.
- If your pet comes into contact with other animals, or if your stuff, like clothing or blankets come in contact with other animals, it can bring fleas into the house.
Once you have fleas in your house it can be hard to get rid of them. It is not just a matter of getting rid of the fleas off your pet you also have to get them out of your house or you will reinfect.
Cleaning to get rid of fleas.
If you see fleas in your house or on your pet you want to make sure they get treated with Frontline Flea and Tick treatment immediately. You may want to keep them in the bathroom or laundry room while the fleas are getting killed off.
- Keep them off the couch. Do not let them on anything with upholstery.
- Keep them off the carpet.
- Keep them off the beds.
- Wash their dog bed, blankets and towels.
- Wash all your sheets.
- If your dog has been on your couch, consider having the upholstery cleaned.
- Steam clean your carpets.
- Wash your floors with bleach.
- Wash your clothes.
- Have your yard sprayed for fleas.
Once you get a flea infestation in your house it can be really hard to get rid of. This is why we suggest treating your pet with prevention. If you use Frontline Flea and Tick treatment monthly it will ensure your pet does not get fleas.