Image Alt

Albuquerque VetCo

 / dogs  / 4th of July Pet Safety Tips
4th of july albuquerque pet safety

4th of July Pet Safety Tips

4th of july albuquerque pet safety

Time for some 4th of July pet safety tips!

Did you know that more dogs go missing on the 4th of July than any other day of the year? That is because of the fireworks and all the festivities. It can be fun for you but very scary for them. So lets all have a happy and safe 4th weekend with these simple tips. Your pets will love you for it!

  • Keep your pets at home. It can be fun to bring them, but all the activity can be more upsetting than enjoyable.
  • Keep your pets inside. If you go out, keep your pets in the house rather than in your yard. He will be a lot happier indoors, and not tempted to leap over a fence to find you.
  • Fireworks are loud and can be scary to your pet. Keep your pet in a safe room where he can feel comfortable. If he is crate trained put him in his crate covered with a blanket to make him feel secure. If your pet is use to the television, put on the TV or radio to drown out the sound of the fireworks.
  • Quell anxiety. If your pet seems overly anxious, spend some time with your pet, speaking soothingly to help them to relax. You can give them rescue remedy to help calm their anxiety as well.
  • Avoid scraps from the grill. While tempting to our pets, any sudden change to your pets’ diet can cause stomach upset. If you do give them scraps, make sure not to give them things like  onions, avocado, grapes and raisins can be toxic. Having your dog throw up all over your party is not much fun for anyone.
  • Watch for chemicals. Avoid spraying your pet with insect repellent and only use special sunscreen that is intended for animal use. Keep your pets away from matches and lighter fluid. They can be extremely irritating to the stomach, lungs and central nervous system, if ingested. If you dog does ingest lighter fluid, call your vet immediately!
  • Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them. Alcoholic drinks can poison pets. If ingested, the animal could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases. If your pet drinks an alcoholic beverage, call your vet immediately!
  • Do not put glow jewelry on your pets, or allow them to play with it. The contents of the jewelry is not highly toxic. However, it can cause some serious stomach upset and the if the plastic is consumed it can lead to more serious gastro-intestinal issues. It is fun for the kids but not for the pups.
  • Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets. Fireworks are very toxic. Keep any fireworks out of the reach of your pets. If your pet eats some fireworks, call your vet immediately.
  • Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take them to Independence Day festivities. Instead, keep your little guys safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.

If you do bring your pet with you to a fireworks show or bbq, make sure they have their microchips. That way if they get lost, they can easily be found.