Keep Romance Away From The Vet: Pet Safety on Valentines
Nothing says romance like a trip to the vet. Oh wait, that’s not right. On the most romantic day of the year, the last thing you want to be worried about is your pet getting sick or getting your beloveds pet sick. Let’s take a moment to go over some Valentines Pet Safety Tips to help keep your Albuquerque pet safe this Valentines Day.
Bouquets of Flowers
Of course, you don’t want to think that your boo’s cat is going to eat the beautiful arrangement of flowers that you got for your her, but cats love to chew on greenery. What is best is to put the flowers someplace that their pet cannot get to, but to be on the safe side it is a good idea to remove any dangerous flowers and plants from the bouquet. That way if they do chew on your bouquet, it won’t be toxic. Lillies are a common flower for bouquets but highly toxic to cats, as are Hydrangeas which contain cyanide, Daffodils, and Cala Lily’s. The ASPCA has a great list of poisonous plants you can check.
For the Love of Chocolate!
If you have pets you are likely very familiar with the fact that chocolate can be life-threatening to them. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures, and elevated heart rate. If you receive chocolate, eat as much as you want, but don’t share with your furry friend and make sure to keep it in a place they cannot get it.
What a nice vintage…
Many people love a fancy cocktail or glass of wine, especially during a romantic evening. As good as it tastes to us, it also tastes good to your pets. The problem is that they are much smaller than we humans are and the alcohol affects them much faster. It can cause all the symptoms we get from getting drunk, including difficulty breathing, metabolic disturbances, central nervous system depression, and coma. Keep your alcohol away from your pet, don’t share no matter how much they beg, and if you spill any make sure to clean it up right away and don’t have your dog clean it up for you.
Sweet isn’t always sweet
Xylitol is a sweetener that is in many candies and gum, especially ones that are supposed to be low sugar. This sweetener can cause sudden hypoglycemia, depression, and seizures in your pet if eaten. Not to mention that the candies it is in can cause other digestive issues like stomach upset, diarrhea, vomiting, and even intestinal blockages. So keep your “Be Mine” candies, and all others, to yourself and your beloved.
A Rose by any other name
May still smell sweet but has thorns that if eaten or stepped on by your four-legged friend can cause serious injury and infection. So be thoughtful and de-thorn your roses.
If you notice any vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, or other strange behavior from your pet, and you think they may have eaten something they shouldn’t, make sure to call your Albuquerque Vet right away.
Happy Valentines Day!