Image Alt

Albuquerque VetCo

 / dogs  / My Dog Ate My Makeup!! Human Makeup and Dangers for Dog

My Dog Ate My Makeup!! Human Makeup and Dangers for Dog

Image by Beverly Lussier from Pixabay

My dog came over to say hello to me and I noticed pink smudges on his face. Then I saw some black on his paw. I wondered what he had gotten into when I recognized the shade of pink. It was my blush! My first reaction was, OMG is my dog ok? Then, OMG my makeup! What happens if your dog eats your makeup, besides having to spend a lot of money on replacements?

For the most part, unless your dog has eaten a huge amount of makeup, he should be fine. If you are concerned at all, you should call your vet immediately. Swallowing makeup tools, sponges, or containers is a bigger concern because they can cause gastrointestinal issues such as blockages or tears. If they have swallowed a makeup container or tool you need to take your dog into the vet immediately.

Petroleum Jelly is used to remove eye makeup and is a laxative. Which means that it will cause diarrhea and possibly vomiting.

Bar Soap and Face Wash typically contain detergents which can cause diarrhea and vomiting if eaten. Some soaps have essential oils in them which can cause central nervous system depression, depending on the type of essential oil. If your dog ate the entire bar of soap, this has a risk of gastrointestinal blockages.

Breath Fresheners, though are not makeup, they are often part of a beauty routine. Breath fresheners are not safe for dogs. Some contain menthol which can irritate their guts. Some contain xylitol which is very dangerous and can cause seizures and liver damage. If you are worried about your dog’s breath, you can give them some breath cleaning dog treats that are meant for them to eat.

Grapeseed Oil is often used as a body oil. It seems that there is no serious problem that will come from ingesting this oil but if your dog eats a lot of it then it could cause loose poo.