Pet Poison Awareness Month
March is pet poison awareness month. Most pet poisonings happen by accident from common household products. It is not surprising when an animal eats a rodenticide and get poisoned, we all know it is poison. But when a cat gets poisoned by aspirin, we are surprised.
1 human aspirin can kill a cat.
To keep your pet safe from household dangers, you need to:
- Keep medicine in a medicine cabinet and out of reach of your pet.
- Use a garbage can with a lid. This keeps them out of discarded cleaner and medicine bottles. Sometimes even licking a container that has chemical residue is enough to be toxic.
- Sore any flea and tick products, and lawn and garden bug products, up and out of reach.
- Make sure you household plants are non-toxic.
- Never give any medication unless under the guidance of your veterinarian.
Make sure you know the symptoms of poisoning:
- Stomach upset
- Stop eating or drinking
- Drinking excessive amounts of water
- Labored breathing
- Gum or tongue color changes from pink to gray.
Get help, fast. If your pet is not showing any serious signs of illness described above, contact your regular veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435).