Image Alt

Albuquerque VetCo

 / dogs  / Plants that are toxic to dogs

Plants that are toxic to dogs

It is springtime…oh maybe this counts as summertime, in Albuquerque! We are all out in our gardens planting like the little green thumbs we hope we are.

Many people are aware of what house plants are toxic to their cats but have not really considered what ones are toxic to their dogs. Here is a list of common indoor and outdoor plants that are toxic to dogs.

  1. Snake plant- this can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Just a note that the foliage is the most toxic.
  2. Swiss cheese plant- this can cause excessive drooling vomiting, difficulty swallowing. It will also cause the intense burning of lips tongue and mouth.
  3. Snake plant- This plant will cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
  4. Philodendrons- with this plant you can get oral pain and swelling.
  5. Aloe Vera- this plant may be good for your sunburn but can cause vomiting, lethargy, and diarrhea.
  6. Peace lily- not so peaceful for your pet. It will irritate your dog’s mouth and cause intense burning of mouth tongue and lips.
  7. Parsley- We all love the herb but believe it or not this herb if taken in large amounts can cause photosensitization which can lead to sunburn and dermatitis for your pup.
  8. Tulips- a beautiful spring flower for sure. This can cause vomiting, diarrhea and even depression in your dog. The most toxic part is the bulb.
  9. Pothos- this lovely green plant will cause oral irritation and can induce vomiting and make swallowing difficult.
  10. Jade plant- exposure can cause depression and vomiting. If it is ingested, it can cause a loss of coordination.
  11. Cocoa mulch- Looks great outside but if your dog consumes enough, it can show signs like chocolate poisoning.

So, what do you do? If you suspect or know for sure that your dog has come in contact with these or ingested any of them the best thing you can do take them to an emergency vet. Sometimes toxic exposure to plants can cause some vomiting and your dog will get over it, but sometimes the toxic effects can be severe. It is better to not take any chances. Call an emergency vet or even poison control to make sure your dog is ok.