Image Alt

Albuquerque VetCo

 / Holiday  / Puppy Love: Valentines Day with Pets

Puppy Love: Valentines Day with Pets

valentines day pet safety

Spend time with the ones you love and not with your vet. Valentines Day can be so romantic and wonderful. Take your pet for a walk, have a nice dinner together, but keep an eye out for some Valentines Day dangers. They may be romantic to you but could be deadly for your pup.

Bouquets of Flowers

When you bought that bouquet of flowers did you think that the dog or cat might try to eat it? Cats and dogs love to chew on greenery. If you bought a beautiful bouquet, make sure to put the flowers someplace that their pet cannot get to, but to be on the safe side it is a good idea to remove any dangerous flowers and plants from the bouquet. If you are getting it from a florist, ask them to only put pet safe flowers in the bouquet. That way if they do chew on your bouquet, it won’t be toxic. The ASPCA has a great list of poisonous plants you can

Oh Chocolate!

If you have pets you are likely very familiar with the fact that chocolate can be life-threatening to them. Chocolate can cause:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • hyperactivity
  • seizures
  • elevated heart rate.

    If you receive chocolate, eat as much as you want, but don’t share with your furry friend and make sure to keep it in a place they cannot get it.

What a nice vintage…

A romantic evening pairs well with a fun and frilly cocktail or nice glass of wine. As good as it tastes to us, it also tastes good to your pets. The problem is that they are much smaller than we humans are and the alcohol affects them much faster. It can cause all the symptoms we get from getting drunk, including difficulty breathing, metabolic disturbances, central nervous system depression, and coma. Keep your alcohol away from your pet, don’t share no matter how much they beg, and if you spill any make sure to clean it up right away and don’t have your dog clean it up for you.

Xylitol and why it should be Xylidon’t

Xylitol is a sweetener that is in many candies and gum, especially ones that are supposed to be low sugar. This sweetener can cause sudden hypoglycemia, depression, and seizures in your pet if eaten. Not to mention that the candies it is in can cause other digestive issues like:

  • stomach upset
  • diarrhea
  • vomiting
  • intestinal blockages.

So keep your “Be Mine” candies, and all others, to yourself and your beloved.

Happy Valentines Day!