RECIPE: Easy Brown Rice and Turkey
This is likely one of the easiest homemade dog food recipes. Most people already have this in their kitchen. Plus if you are not sure about cutting your dog off the kibble completely, you can add some kibble to this recipe before serving them. This is a good trick if you are wanting the crunchy kibble to help clean their teeth, just don’t leave the kibble in there very long or it will get soft.
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli, carrots and cauliflower combination. They typically sell frozen vegetable mixes like this.
Dutch Oven Directions
- Place the water, ground turkey, rice, and rosemary into a large Dutch oven.Mix it all together and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the frozen vegetables, and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Refrigerate until using.
- Cook your rice in a rice cooker or on the stove. Typically 2 cups of brown rice need 4 1/2 cups of water. Cook for 45 minutes with the lid on and let the rice set for 15 minutes. We suggest following the instructions on your brown rice package.
- Sautee your ground turkey with the rosemary. You do not need oil. Cook until it is cooked all the way through.
- Mix the rice and turkey together. Add the remaining water and your frozen vegetables. Let cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. If it is too soupy, let it simmer for longer.
This can be frozen for up to 2 weeks.