Recipe: Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Treats
If you have leftover pumpkin or just want to make your dog a festive seasonal treat, this peanut butter pumpkin treat is delicious and nutritious!
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (fresh puree is better but canned works well too)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (you can substitute almond butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly whisk the eggs.
- Stir together the flour, eggs, pumpkin, peanut butter, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl until is become a dough. You can also do this in a mixer. If you are doing it by hand, you may need to finish the mixing with your actual hands, that can sometimes be easier than using a spoon.
- If the dough is dry and hard to work with add water a little bit at a time. The dough should be dry and stiff but not unworkable.
- Roll the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick roll.
- Use a cookie cutter or glass to cut the treats into small pieces. The pieces should be sized appropriately for your dog. The bigger the dog, the bigger the biscuit. If you are not sure, then we recommend cutting it into 1/2 squares.
- Bake in preheated oven until hard, about 40 minutes.