Image Alt

Albuquerque VetCo

 / cats  / RoundUp Your Yard Not Your Pets

RoundUp Your Yard Not Your Pets

Herbicide Dog

Overall you can rest easy, RoundUp is considered non-toxic to mammals. This is good news for you and your pet as you get ready to tackle those early New Mexico weeds that are already popping up. But, non-toxic is not the same as totally safe. There are still things you need to watch for after you spray RoundUp in your yard, in terms of pet health safety.

If you follow the instructions on RoundUp, your pets should be safe.

Wait For It To Dry

RoundUp is safe one it is dry. DRY!! This means that RoundUp is not safe when it is freshly sprayed. It is not safe to your pets and it is not safe to your other plants. If your pets walk on wet RoundUp they will likely track it to your other plants and you will kill the plants you want along with the ones you don’t, so garden health is another reason to wait for it to dry.

What Are The Active Ingredients In RoundUp?

Glyphosate is the primary ingredient in Roundup and it is an acid that is also a fast acting herbicide. It blocks the shikimic acid pathways in plants, which are not found in mammals, and that is how it kills your weeds. Once the acid is dry, it is no longer a toxic threat to your pet. When it is wet, it can be toxic and depending on how much exposure your pet has, they can have some pretty sever symptoms:

  • Drooling
  • Stomach upset
  • Losing their appetite
  • Becoming lethargic

Diquat Dibormide is the other active ingredient, which is another contact based herbicide. This chemical works by damaging the plant cell membranes. Again, when dry, it is not a problem. When wet it can cause symptoms such as:

  • Cataracts in dogs and cats
  • Developmental defects in rats and rabbits

What You Should Do

Make sure your RoundUp is dry!

It could take a few minutes or a few hours for your RoundUp to be dry, depending on your environment. It is best to wait at least 1/2 a day, if not a full day, to be safe, before letting your pet in the treated area. There are other pet friendly or more natural herbicide treatments, but keep in mind, that even homemade herbicides like capsaicin, have potential exposure issues for pets.

If you are concerned your pet has any herbicidal exposure issues from RoundUp or any other herbicide, please call your Albuquerque veterinary clinic immediately. Do not induce vomiting, or issue any other medical treatment without the direct supervision of your veterinarian. Many treatments can make poison issues worse.