Spring Cleaning your Dog: Getting Pup Ready for Spring!
Its not just time for Spring cleaning. It is also time to get your dog ready for Spring! If you think that just means letting them go outside, think again. Here is your check list for getting your pup ready for spring:
- Buy a brush! With the Spring weather comes shedding. Make sure you have a good brush or shedding blade to help you get rid of all that loose hair. Frequent grooming will help avoid matting of their fur. It will also cut down on hair related throw-up.
- Fleas and Ticks: With spring comes rolling around in fresh grass and big dusty dirt piles. Make sure your pooch has been treated for fleas and ticks before you let them out. Come in to VetCo in Los Lunas or Albuquerque to get your Frontline Flea and Tick treatment.
- Test for Heartworms: Spring is a great time to test for heartworm and get them started with prevention. Heartworms are spread through mosquitos and playing outside puts them at risk. Get them on preventative treatment like Heartgard will keep your pup safe and sound. Come in to Vetco in Los Lunas or Albuquerque to get Heartgard for your dog.
- Check your yard: Make sure your yard is ready for your dog. Check the fences to ensure they do not have holes in them. If you used any ice melt, make sure that is cleared away. If you treated your lawn with any chemical fertilizers or weed killers, don’t let your dog roll around. The chemicals in the yard treatment can hurt your dog.
- Check your leash and collar: Take a look at your leash and collar to make sure that they are not frayed. You don’t want your dog breaking his leash when you are out.
- Update her shots! With you dog going outside more they will be exposed to more environments and people. Help keep them safe by making sure their shots are up to date. VetCo in Albuquerque and Los Lunas offer daily shot clinics. No appointments necessary, just bring your dog by and get her vaccines updated.
- Get your tags: If your dog is outside you need to make sure that you have your dog tags and licenses. Come by the Los Lunas VetCo or Albuquerque VetCo and we can get your pet license renewed along with their shots. Then we will get you new tags too!
Now you are ready for Spring! So take your pup out to the park, out for a walk or run, or just out in the backyard.