Image Alt

Albuquerque VetCo

 / dogs  / The Many Causes of Dog Poisoning
poisonous albuquerque

The Many Causes of Dog Poisoning

poisonous albuquerque

Dogs get poisoned a lot more than people realize and most of the time it is not because of a malicious neighbor. A big cause of dog poisoning is stuff that we have in our own house. Dogs like to eat almost everything, this includes dangerous chemicals. But eating is not the only way a dog can be poisoned,

The three ways for your dog to be poisoned are:

  1. Touching contact: Poison can be absorbed through their skin.
  2. Breathing: Inhaling toxic fumes.
  3. Eating: Ingesting something that is poisonous

What are the Most Common Poisons for Dogs?

  • People food such as chocolate, xylitol, grapes, avocado, onions. Make sure you know what food is toxic to your dog before feeding it to them.
  • Human medicine.
  • Insecticides/Pesticides
  • Fertilizers
  • Paint
  • Car battery fluid
  • Poisonous mushrooms
  • Certain plants. (See list of toxic plants)
  • Cleaning products
  • Alcohol
  • Tobacco
  • Antifreeze

These are all things that are very common in most households. Some chemicals like fertilizers and pesticides can be dog safe. If they are, it will be marked on the bottle.

Symptoms of Poisoning

It is important to know the symptoms of poisoning so you can catch it quickly. When it comes to poisoning, time is not on your side, and getting treatment right away is vital.

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Intense pain with groaning or whining
  • Depression or weakness
  • Coughing
  • Sneezing
  • Dilated pupils
  • Tremors
  • Nervousness
  • Dizziness
  • Muscle stiffness
  • Being disoriented
  • Paralysis
  • Lethargy
  • Severe drowsiness
  • Sudden hyperactivity
  • Unconsciousness or collapse
  • Weakness
  • Fever
  • Excessive droopling
  • Bleeding from the mouth, eyes, anus
  • Breathing difficulty
  • Heart palpitations, racing, or slowing
  • Difficulty in limb coordination
  • Excessive thirst
  • Frequent urination
  • Loss of appetite

If you notice a few of these symptoms, or any of the ones that are more severe like bleeding, you need to call an emergency vet immediately.

What to do? Doggy First Aid

The first thing is to call the vet and let them tell you what to do. DO NOT make your dog throw up. This can make things worse and the medication to make them throw up is also toxic. ONLY induce vomiting under direct veterinary care. There are some things you can do in the mean time, which you are waiting for instruction from the vet.

  1. Put them in an open area where they can lay comfortably, have access to fresh air, and is well lit. If you can’t put them outside, put them in a bathroom or kitchen.
  2. See if you can identify the poison. This will help the vet know how to treat your dog.
  3. DO NOT give them water or anything else to drink.
  4. DO NOT give them food,
  5. DO NOT induce vomiting,

Depending on your dogs symptoms and the cause of the poison they may ask you to bring the dog in or they may walk you through some at home treatments that could include:

  • Giving your dog water
  • Giving them a bath
  • Shaving their fur
  • Inducing vomiting

DO NOT do anything before consulting your vet.