Image Alt

Albuquerque VetCo

 / VetCo  / Why Chocolate is Bad for Dogs

Why Chocolate is Bad for Dogs

Tomorrow is Valentines day and you may not know what gifts you are getting but if chocolate is one of them do not be tempted to share it with your dog. Most people know that chocolate is bad for pets but we hear it so much that it can become something we ignore. Let’s have a little reminder of why this delicious treat is only a treat for humans.

Dogs are the most susceptible to chocolate poisoning because of their habit of rapid consumption. They have an inability to process theobromine properly and this is the main chemical in chocolate that is toxic to your dog. Once your dog has eaten it, it can stay in their blood stream for up to 24 hours.

Symptoms Of Chocolate Poisoning In Animals

  1. Vomiting and diarrhea occur 3 to 5 hours after consumption, and chocolate in the throw-up may perhaps be obvious.
  2. Central nervous system stimulation triggers tremors, hyperactivity and seizures.
  3. Heart-rate becomes rapid and abnormal.
  4. Excessive urination
  5. Firmness, excitement, seizures, and excessive response to light and noise.
  6. Urine may contain blood
  7. Gums of the pet may turn into bluish hue after few hours of chocolate intake.
  8. Heart failure, coma, and death can also happen.

How To Treat Chocolate Poisoning

There is only a little you can do for your pet, especially in the home, to treat chocolate poisoning. Once the theobromine is in the blood stream it becomes much harder. Therefore, the general treatments are usually ways to stop the ingested theobromine from getting in to the blood stream.

Treatment options- Under Veterinary Supervision

1. Induce vomiting instantly, which will help remove most of the chocolate. (never try inducing vomiting at home unless you are under the guidance of your Albuquerque Veterinarian)

2. After that, make your pet to eat a small quantity of activated charcoal, which can bind completely to the theobromine and retain it from getting into the circulatory system.

3. Try to get your pet to drink as much water as it can to keep hydrated.

4. At the veterinarian, specific drugs may be used to help the pet make it through, like anti-convulsants, which can help if the pet has seizures.

Make sure to call your vet if your dog shows signs of chocolate poisoning.

While a very little amount of chocolate would possibly not harm some pets, it is safest to avoid feeding it to them in any way. Remember to keep your chocolate, sweets, chocolate coated goodies and cakes safely far away from your pets.